Post written by Raymund Tamayo
|Photo source: www.truewoman.com|
Since time immemorial, people have been drawn into the pursuit of happiness.
Everyone craves for it. Men and women, young and old, rich and poor, no one will say that they do not want to be happy.
It seems like every one of us are in some sort of discontent as if we are designed to be slightly dissatisfied about everything.
Every now and then, it is best to realize what happiness is not so that we can fully understand what it is.
What is NOT happiness? Here are some things which we mistake for happiness:
1. Pleasure – We most often confuse pleasure with happiness. Partying, boozing, orgies, and taking drugs are pleasures, but they aren’t happiness. We can experience them all without really being happy.
2. Convenience - Comfort is not happiness. Fathers work long hours without sleep only to provide for their children. But they are happy.
3. Love – I don’t know if you would agree, but love is not happiness. In fact, comes with loving is admitting that you aren’t going to be happy all the time. Love is sacrificing, laying down your life, for the one you love. It is the readiness for the other person to be happy even if you are not the one to make him or her happy. How many of your friends who are in love right now are not happy? Think about it.
4. Success – This one is obvious. With so many famous and wealthy people committing suicide, we all know that success is not happiness. How many successful people do you know are truly happy?
5. Wealth – The same thing as success, money can’t guarantee happiness. It can’t buy love, what more happiness? Researches show that the poorest nations of the world have the happiest people.
6. Knowledge – Studies suggest that the higher a person’s IQ is, the less happy he is. Possibly because he is always logical and wants to have an explanation for everything.
7. Possessions – Material things are the most common retreat of people seeking happiness. People buy and acquire things hoping that someday they will get that something that would finally make them truly happy. But acquiring things can only give a temporary happiness-like feeling that will soon fade away. And the only solution to bring back the feeling is to buy again.
These are just some of the most common things that people have always thought to be happiness. In my next post, I’ll share what happiness really is and the secrets on how to achieve it.
Do you have any items to add in the list? Please share them in the comments.