Post written by Raymund and Denielle Tamayo
A stress-free life is impossible. Stress is the natural response of the human body to tension and challenges, and a life without challenges would make us feel dead inside anyway.
However, too much stress is harmful to our holistic well-being. Not only does it damage our physical health, it also affects our mental, emotional, and spiritual standings.
One of the simplest tools we use to instantly fight off unnecessary stress is Deep Breathing. It is a form of relaxation you can learn and practice at home using the following steps. With daily practice, you can use this tool anytime you feel stressed.
1. Sit in a comfortable position, with both feet on the floor and hands on your lap. Close your eyes.
2. Imagine you are in a peaceful place. Perhaps you’re on a beach, in the middle of a rice field at the foot of a mountain, or sitting on a bench in a park. Try to sink to it and hold it in your mind.
3. Inhale and exhale. Focus on breathing slowly and deeply. Feel your breath coming in and going out of your lungs.
4. Put a hand on your abdomen and a hand on your chest. As you breathe, make sure the hand on your abdomen is moving up and down rather than the one on your chest. If the hand on your abdomen is moving you are breathing deeply and slowly.
5. Continue to breathe slowly for 5 minutes or more.
Try to do this at least 5 minutes every day whenever you feel stressed and feel the difference.
Do you have other relaxation or stress-busting techniques? Kindly share them in the comments!